Testing My Crafting Limits

I like to craft. I spread out from paper-crafting recently and started testing my hand at sewing. There's a backstory:

My mom bought me a sewing machine when I got married and moved out back in 2007. I used it once. I spent about a month making a Christmas table runner as a gift for my mom. That's when I learned the following:
  1. I cannot cut a straight line.
  2. I don't know how to use a straight pin properly.
  3. I don't understand how my sewing machine works.
Since I'm about to become a Mom and part-time homemaker I feel like I should improve my "around-the-house" skills. To be honest, it's a little embarrassing that my husband does most of the cooking, cleaning, bookkeeping and all of the mending. So I've taken my sewing machine out of retirement.

It's a test of persistence, not perfection.

My 1st project was a decorative bunting for the nursery. The triangles are not all exactly the same size. There are numerous extra tack jobs where I didn't get a whole triangle attached to the trim. And I had to un-tangle my machine about two dozen times during the project.

It was a great first project though, because all it has to do is hang on the wall. So no worries about seams coming loose or falling out. More importantly, it gave me enough  confidence to try out a more functional project: a diaper hanger.

We'll see how it goes. I've had the fabric cut for a week and haven't had the guts to start sewing yet...

Comments